A hearty, savoury slow cooker stew with capsicums, carrots, broth, herbs and spices. You won't be slow to say 'Yum'!
- 1kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 medium red capsicums, cut into large dice
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 400g can tomato puree (or diced tomatoes)
- 2½ cups beef stock
Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut beef into 2.5-3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper, and add about 2 tablespoons of oil to the beef, mix well. Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and place it in a casserole dish.
Reduce heat in the pan, add a little oil, add onion and garlic, cook for 1 minute, add carrot and capsicum, cook for 1-2 minutes, and stir occasionally.
Sprinkle in paprika, flour and caraway seeds, stir until the carrots and capsicums are coated. Gradually pour in the tomato puree and stock, stirring well. Stir until the mixture boils. Add to the casserole dish, stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven. Stir every 40 minutes or so, add water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered. Cook until the beef is very tender.