Served with Wok steamed mix vegetables and green tea noodles, this lamb steaks dish is a stunner for serving to guests.
- 4 Quality Mark lamb steaks
- 1 shallot or small onion, very finely chopped
- 250g button mushrooms, wiped and finely chopped
- ½ cup canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 250g button mushrooms, wiped and quartered if large
- 250g broccoli
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 250g snow peas, trimmed
- 200-250g green tea noodles, cooked (or use buckwheat or egg noodles)
Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add shallot and stir continuously, until the shallot begins to turn golden. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and thyme. Season and cook over a medium-high heat, stirring until all the moisture has evaporated (about 5 minutes). Set aside and leave to cool completely.
Place all ingredients in a blender or put in a jar and shake until well incorporated. Season to taste.
- Place lamb steaks on a chopping board. Using a large sharp knife, cut through each lamb steak horizontally (stopping just before you cut right through), and open out (as if you were reading a book).
- Cover the opened out lamb steaks with plastic wrap or baking paper. Using a meat mallet, rolling pin or the base of a small heavy saucepan, pound each lamb steak until it’s about 5mm thick.
- Spread cooled mushroom filling over one side of each lamb steak then fold back over and secure with a toothpick.
- Rub lamb steaks with a little oil. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook lamb steaks for 3 minutes each side, turning once for medium-rare lamb.
- Remove and place on a warm plate, cover very loosely with foil and leave to rest while you cook the vegetables.
- Heat a dash of oil in a wok or large frying pan with lid.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until just beginning to soften and colour.
- Add broccoli and stock, place on the lid and allow broccoli to steam, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove lid, add snow peas and stir vegetables.
Divide cooked noodles and wok vegetables between 4 plates and place on a lamb steak. Drizzle over a little of the sesame dressing and serve. Serve extra sesame dressing separately.