The surprise Mozarella parcels hiding throughout this tasty mince dish are well worth the effort, especially for a special occasion.
- 500g Quality Mark lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup Campbell’s Real Stock –Beef
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 1 packet wonton or dumpling wrappers
- 200g mozzarella
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Fresh basil or parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan over a very high heat.
- When the pan is piping hot, add the mince and break it up quickly with a wooden spoon.
- Stir it for a few minutes until brown all over.
- Transfer to a bowl, cool slightly then drain off and discard any fat.
- Wipe out the mince pan and turn the heat down to medium.
- Add another tablespoon of oil, the onion and garlic. Stir for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, stock and sugar.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until it becomes a pasta sauce consistency. Season to taste.
- Add the cherry tomatoes (if using) and simmer for another few minutes.
- Slice the mozzarella into 2-3 cm pieces.
- Brush a wonton wrapper with egg, and place a slice of cheese and a basil leaf in the middle.
- Season with salt and pepper and roll it up.
- Press the ends firmly with your fingers to seal.
- Repeat with the remaining filling. Y
- ou can cut the ends off if you have lots of excess pastry sticking out.
- Bring a large saucepan of water with a pinch of salt to a rapid boil.
- Add the parcels and cook for 5 minutes (or 3 minutes if using homemade pasta)
Combine the mozzarella parcels with the mince and spoon into warmed bowls. Top with fresh Parmesan shavings and chopped basil or parsley.