We've searched high and low for the best meatballs recipe to share with you here - and we've tried them all too! - and this is our favourite by far...
- 500g Quality Mark beef mince
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup red wine (or use stock)
- 1½ cups Campbell’s Real Stock – Beef
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Cooked spaghetti
- Fresh basil
- Grated cheese
- Add the mince to a large bowl with the breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, egg, herbs, tomato paste, olive oil and season.
- Mix gently to combine using clean hands and shape the mixture into balls slightly bigger than a golf ball.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- Heat a little oil over a medium-high heat in a large frying pan and brown the meatballs all over (do this in batches).
- Once browned, remove carefully with tongs and set aside on a plate.
- Drain any oil from the pan and return it over a high heat.
- Add the wine (or stock) and let it bubble for 30 seconds, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to incorporate all those crunchy caramelised meat juices from the meatballs.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir.
- Add the meatballs back to the pan and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened to a pasta sauce consistency (turn the meatballs over once). Taste and season as required.
Toss the sauce through the just-cooked drained spaghetti in the spaghetti cooking pot. Add to serving bowls and sprinkle with cheese and basil.