This is an awesome recipe that is super easy to make, adds plenty of meaty goodness (for those who like the extra protein in their soups!) and can be made with whatever root vegetables, herbs and spices you like or have available.
- Bacon hock
- Root vegetables - Swede, potatoes, carrots, parsnip
- Flavours - Onion, garlic, salt and vege stock
- Water to cover
- Cook the bacon hock in water then strain the residue from the top with a sieve.
- Add in your vegetables later (as they cook faster) as well as your flavours.
- Take care when adding salt to this recipe as the bacon hock is already fairly salty!
- Take the hock out, cut the meat into pieces and throw it back into your soup.
- Give the bone to dog.
- Serve as is or, as we've done here, with a side of noodles.